Hi Bill,

Let's just talk about the rpc-ping-mt/request minimal latency.

On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 8:24 AM, William Allen Simpson
<william.allen.simp...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> It measures minimal request latency all the way to nfs-ganesha's, or
>> the Linux kernel's, rpcnull handler--the "top" of the request handling
>> stack, in the given client/server/network configuration.  Scaled up,
>> it can report the max such calls/s, which is a kind of best-possible
>> value for iops, taking FSAL ops to have 0 latency.
>>
> As I've mentioned elsewhere, this should be entirely dominated by the
> link speed and protocol.  We should see UDP as slowest, TCP in the
> middle, and RDMA as fastest.

I think the point is, the "should" assumes perfect behavior from the
dispatch and (minimal) request execution path within nfs-ganesha, does
it not?  In other words, profiling of rpc null is effectively
profiling the first stage of the request pipeline, and if it's not
fast, more interesting ops won't be.

> OTOH, the "max such calls/s" would be reported by using XDR_RAW, which
> is currently not working.

My intended meaning, and Daniel's when he articulated the same point
Friday, is that "max such calls/s" -is- meaningful for transports NFS
actually supports, and those are the ones we can compare with other
implementations.  I think the raw transport opens up some interesting
paths, but it seems like they would involve more development.

Matt

--

Matt Benjamin
Red Hat, Inc.