So if I understand your scenario correctly,

You want to maintain 2 different appdomains, one for your app and other one
for loading up the assemblies NH needs to map, entities and so on. And you
want to unload the appdomain when you are finished with NH. Is this the case
?

The problem is that even if you get your configuration serialized,you can
not reuse it with a subset of the dlls (afaik). NH will try to map what is
in the configuration anyways. Serialization will not save you some DLL s.

What am I missing ?