No, not everyone agrees that the melted socket is a symptom and not the
problem.  The socket is metal-probably brass-and cannot melt.  It is the
plastic parts around it somewhere that are melted.  And that is due to heat.
Although that could be a wrong/oversize/overcurrent bulb, it is more likely to
be a bad connection between the socket and the bulb that created a high
resistance and heat producing point.  It could be limited to the bulb, which
would be eliminated when the bulb was replaced, but I would carefully check the
socket for a bad contact, and replace it if at all in doubt.  Automotive supply
stores have sockets that would probably work, at least temporarily.  Be sure
there is a grounding method/wire on any improvised socket.  A short/grounding
in the wiring would cause heating at the point of the short/grounding, and not
at the socket.  Heating in the socket/bulb is caused by the socket/bulb.

Trust me.  The check is in the mail.  I will respect and call you tomorrow.

Gene

F.Y.I.  (None of these definitions are the same nor interchangeable.)
Short:  A "shortened" electrical path that allows excess/unintended/undesired
current to flow.  Sometimes accompanied by heat/fireworks/excitement etc.
Ground:  A path that allows current to flow to the ground or common side of a
circuit.  Sometimes deliberate and planned.  Sometimes unintended/undesired.
See "short". As in short to ground.
Open:  For electrical current to do its job, it needs an outgoing path from the
power source and a return to the same source.  Along the way it will encounter
control devices, switches, etc. and pass through the intended use of the power,
a light, a motor, the coil of a relay, etc.  An open is any break in this
circuit that prevents the current flow.