I've had the bike for a year or so, which is about how long I've been
riding motorcycles.  I didn't think to turn the gas off when I put the
bike away for the winter (I know, I know), and I had a gas leak some
time in January.  At that point I turned the gas off.

Last week I replaced the fuel line and took the bike for a spin, but
it wasn't running quite right - it seemed like it wasn't getting
enough gas.  I drove it to a brother-in-law's house, where we
determined that it was simply a kinked fuel line.  But in the process
we heard a gurgling sound coming from the air box, and we found that
there was a lot of gas in it.  A float in one of my carbs must have
stuck in the beginning of winter, backfeeding gasoline into the air
box.  The gurgling sound must have been coming from the transmission
breather tube that connects at the bottom of the air box.

We drained the air box of all the gas, then proceeded to change my
oil, which we were going to do anyway.  Well, the oil was basically
like gasoline with a little bit of oil in it, and I had driven the
bike about 50 or so miles like that.

After changing the oil we went on about a 100 mile ride.  My bike
always had a valve tick, but at one point, while I was on the
interstate in heavy traffic, the noise changed and the bike felt
different, but then it went back to normal.  2 miles later I lost all
power, and I knew it was serious.

My brother in laws think that a bearing was already starting to fail
and this just helped it along, but I guess we'll never know.  Is it
possible to upload pictures using Google Groups?  I have some shots of
the damage if anyone is interested...

Long story short: Gas in oil = bad. Turn off your fuel valve before
winter, and check the oil before you take it for your first ride of
the year.... I had to learn the hard way.

I think I may have found a CB700SC engine or 2 locally... wish me
luck.