Hey Spencer, great score for a retirement present. I have used a block of wood and a hydraulic jack to keep the front end up. That way you can put the wood between the exhaust and lift from there. Using the center stand will give you extra security. Have fun wrenching and I am in Portland. If you are in the area or I in yours we should get together.
Wayne 83 CB650SC On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 9:16 AM, The Webby<[email protected]> wrote: > > Hey guys(and gals if there are any), > > I bought a 1984 Honda Nighthawk S in Sept 2006 after I retired from > the Navy. Rode it a lot (except in black ice conditions - something > that happens a lot here in the Puget Sound near Seattle. > > I love my bike. It still has that classic look and I knew I wanted one > from the moment I saw them back in 1986. Sweet retirement present, eh? > > Last September, a woman ran into me as I was turning left off a > highway and I dropped it. I gnashed my teeth. I moaned and yelled. > Now it is June and I want to get it back on the road. It sustained > only minor damage. It is also a good time to replace the fork seals, > brake pads, etc. > > I don't have a bike lift. And as I look at the undercarriage, it seems > that it would bend the exhaust pipes - not keen on that. Anyone here > have advice / opinions about lifting the nose to remove the front > fork, tire, etc? > > I build a stand and put it up on the center stand and ratcheted it > down yesterday but it wants to roll off the stand. > > So now, I am considering building a lifting frame out of 4X4s and > borrowing a comealong from a friend and lift the entire bike with > ratchet straps. > > Thanks in advance. > > Spencer > > ps - when I get it going again - anyone near me wanting to go for > rides message me - I'm always game for a nice ride > > > > > --~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group. To post to this group, send email to [email protected] To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [email protected] For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en -~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---
