This may be an odd question to some, but what type of fuses are you using? I had similar problems with my truck some time back that turned out to be caused by a special type of fuse I had installed. This odd fuse, while being the blade style our bikes use, was the type that when too much draw is applied to the circuit, instead of "popping" or breaking the metal inside, the insides would "move away" from one another to break the circuit until the fuse cools back down, allowing the connection to be made again.
Basically, what I'm saying is to further examine the fuses, especially if you can easily replicate the problem. Try replacing all 4, even if they look alright. Second, check the fuse block itself. The bottom fuse (headlamp) especially gets super hot for me and I always find myself checking to make sure the light is still on. I'm pretty sure my issues with that are caused by corroded contacts where the panel and fuses actually make contact. When the bike dies, see if any of the fuses are hot to the touch and/or melting. If nothing, then I'd bite the bullet and start tracing each wire and check the continuity of each connection point to somewhere else on the harness where the lower powered check should go (if that didn't make sense sorry). Hope some of this helps. Sean On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 7:33 PM, <[email protected]> wrote: > Riding down the road everything dies > > > Aug 1, 2010 05:27:54 PM, [email protected] wrote: > > So wait, explain that again... You'd start and ride the bike fine, turn it > off. Then you'd come back, turn it on and nothing happens? Then I assume > you'd turn the key off, back on then everything works again? > > If so, have you checked to see if you're actually turning the key all the > way off? I've done that a couple times because the ignition/key switch is > kinda shady because I'll turn the key to where I think "Off" is but it'll > sit turned on slightly, kill the gauges and headlamp but some other stuff is > still pulling juice from the battery, eventually killing it. (on my 550) > > Sean > > > On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 1:41 PM, <[email protected]> wrote: > >> *Over the last 2-yrs My 550 has been a trusty steed & never left me >> stranded. >> >> But: A few times it's as if the ignition was turned off. Everything >> died. I turned the key off/on & it started right up. >> >> The battery cables & grounds are clean & snug. >> >> When my signal relay died last year, I cleaned about every connector I >> could find. >> >> It's a bit weathered from spending it's whole existence outdoors. >> >> >> Bernie >> >> >> >> >> * >> >> -- >> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups >> "Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group. >> To post to this group, send email to [email protected]. >> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to >> [email protected]<nighthawk_lovers%[email protected]> >> . >> For more options, visit this group at >> http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en. >> > > -- > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups > "Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group. > To post to this group, send email to [email protected]. > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to > [email protected]<nighthawk_lovers%[email protected]> > . > For more options, visit this group at > http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en. > > -- > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups > "Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group. > To post to this group, send email to [email protected]. > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to > [email protected]<nighthawk_lovers%[email protected]> > . > For more options, visit this group at > http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en. > -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group. To post to this group, send email to [email protected]. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [email protected]. For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en.
