I picked up a new roll bag at the International Motorcycyle Show in Toronto
yesterday, so that means it's time to start my winter project. I want to
fabricate a luggage rack for my 1984 650.

Plan A) is the simplest idea I have is to make a lightweight aluminum plate
the "clips" onto the top of the rear passenger grab bar and extends back
over the rear tailight. The rear of the plate will be supported by a
U-shaped mount that extends back from the rear turn signal mount holes. My
question is are the turn signal mount holes strong enough to carry approx.
20lbs (max) of weight? I already have saddle bags and a large tank bag that
I use when touring, but always seem to need a little more room so I wouldn't
be loading the roll bag up over 20lbs.

Plan B) is to build a set of rails that bolt into the frame using the holes
for the aluminum grab bars under the seat (near rear shocks and behind the
helmet key lock). The rail would extend out near the back of the seat and up
over the rear cowling in a Y shape on both sides of the bike. This would
then accept an aluminum rack.

I am really gunning for Plan A but don't like engineering items that are
bound to fail. I have full access to a machine shop, welders, pipe benders,
etc. to get the job done. Any feedback on either of these ideas would be
appreciated. I'm sure there are a few members with similar homebrew racks.
Graham already sent me some pics from his bikes to use as a template.

Also, I am making a set of pannier supports to keep my bags from swinging in
towards my rear wheel. I always get a bit nervous when they are fully loaded
and swing in close to the real wheel. With them fully expanded they are
almost 14" deep and 20" long so they can get pretty heavy with whatever I
need for my trips. I'll document the build process and maybe make up an
extra set or 2 if anyone is interested.

Thanks

- Chris