Don't defer to me. The caffeine is wearing off and so is my confidence, Graham

On Mar 1, 2011, at 11:36 PM, Allen Thomas wrote:

I think #5 are the transfer tubes but Graham's the expert with the older models so I defer to his wisdom.
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

-----Original Message-----
From: Graham Rogers <graha...@ptd.net>
Sender: nighthawk_lovers@googlegroups.com
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 23:13:24
To: <nighthawk_lovers@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [Nighthawk Lovers] 83 cb550 help carbs

JR, no bout about it, you have an '83 550. That's the only year they
made it. I may be wrong on all this but I had caffeinated coffee so
I'm up for a while any way.
The T's you are looking at are
1.      the middle one is the  fuel line from the pet cock
2.     the two outside ones are overflow tubes that originally had
tubes connected to them and running to the rear of the carbs and
down .  Check that there is no gas leaking under the carbs from the
T's.  If so, the O-rings are probably shot and need to be replaced.
If not, I doubt your problem is in the T's.
Have you removed the carbs and cleaned them, the jets and all passage
ways?  If so, did you check the size of the jets, the pilot or low
speed jets in particular using a wire made for the purpose?
Is the inside of the tank clean and free of rust, same with the fuel
valve (pet cock)?
Start with answering these questions.
Graham