That's sort of what I was meaning. Engine oils in general are heading
steadily toward more and more low-friction modifiers, and it's getting
harder to find the older additives now (ZDDP in particular, which older
flat-tappet engines need more than modern roller/rocker tappets and VVT
engines do). Friction modifiers/inhibitors aren't good for wet clutches
(like ours and the DSG/DCT automatics out there now), which need a good
viscous fluid that transfers heat well and keeps a steady friction
throughout a broad temp range.

I love synthetic oils; my old VWs each get moved to synthetics whenever I do
a reseal on them (which eliminates the weepy changeover).

Engines and transmissions are going in opposite directions as to their
needs, so I'm wondering when the OEMs are going to start splitting them off
again, giving you a long-life transmission oil fill and a shorter interval
engine oil fill.

I personally am looking forward to the transition. So much easier to do
engine swaps when you don't have to move both. ;)

-Kurt