It was December, 2007, and the Nighthawk I'd bought was in the garage
and exhibited the problem I'd mentioned -- Idled with choke full on,
totally died when given any throttle.   The only group around that I
could find then was the Yahoo Nighthawk group, so I went to find my
early posting over there.   (I can't believe I've had my Nighthawk for
that long. )

The explanation given to me was:

"You're going from lean to leaner and exceeding the stoichiometric
requirements for combustion."

(In short, if the main jets are blocked when you open the throttle,
you're increasing  the amount air, without increasing the amount of
fuel ... so, no bang. -- that was from Lou Medina)

Matt