So I'm on this cross-country trip, and have been asking lots of mechanics along the way questions like "How often should I lube my chain?".

One guy with 30+ years of mechanic experience said "every two tank fulls of gas, or about every 300 miles".

Another guy with maybe 30+ years of mechanic experience said "that's way, way, way too much, and is unsafe -- the lube will fly off onto the tires and you'll slip turning to the left. Only lube once a week, or about every 1000 miles."

Which is right? Anyone got a good suggestion for how often I should be lubing on this trip?

Thanks!
  +Lie