Well, unfortunately, I am rather limited in options for throttle bodies.
They essentially have to come from sport bikes, and it appears that my
floor is going to be 38mm (+6 from stock, +4mm over stock NH750). Now, I
know with carbs there is a certain need for the smaller diameters,
especially CV carbs: the velocity of the air moving through the venturi is
what reduces standing pressure and both draws the fuel from the bowl and on
a CV carb positions the slide properly to operate the needle.

Typically for a car, the carbureted version will have a slightly narrower
throat than the fuel injected version: for instance, the 1.8 VW engine came
with a single 38mm Weber OR with CIS you had a 40/30mm progressive throttle
body.

I think I can definitely rule out the CBR TBs; I don't think I want to go
for 40! But I also feel that I should be reasonably fine with the 38s; my
big worry was that moving up was going to cut into my throttle range,
giving me an On/Off switch as you can find in high end, high strung bikes
(Where I'm seeing BIG TB sizes, 42, 45... 48mm... PER CYLINDER).

With you folks letting me know that my response might actually suffer with
too big a body, I feel I'll be pretty safe there. I will still have the
port size restricting air flow, and I'm not messing with valve sizes, so...
we'll see how this goes. If it runs like crap on the 650, I'll swap the
750's carbs over and give them an extra 100ccs to work with! :p

-Kurt