Joey, you are right.  When it comes to seats, size matters.  I read an
article about a  man who did a study on seats and found the more area that
supports your butt the more comfortable it will be.  Some padding is better
than others, but on the long haul overall, surface sized matters.

Many of the replacement seats are built for looks not comfort ..even for the
ST.  And there is only so much you can do with a certain size area seat.
On the ST300 there seems to be a consensus to buy a big custom seat made by
Russell, All Day seats. This is one the of the best ones, some say the best
over others and costs $700-900.  They size it, and fit it to you and your
companion.  The problem with the really wide seats is that it becomes
difficult to put your legs down and maneuver in the city.   I don't have a
really wide one, but mine is not bad, a stock rework, that is good in the
twisties.

I think you are going to be limited on the Nighthawk.  I don't think
anything off the shelf will be all that comfortable. The surface area on the
NH is to narrow.  It is not really a touring bike or a sport touring bike.
That is why guys go to those kinds of bikes.  It's my opinion -not
everybody's -that the Honda's are superior at this when you go to a touring
cruiser, comfort bike, a Shadow, Goldwing or ST.

I struggled with seat comfort for years on the NH, and finally just went to
a more comfortable bike.  A caveat however is that lots of guys go to
Goldwings to get the comfort for their wives and then their wife still don't
want to ride. Then they downsize again to a ST or something.

If you want an add-on, I would look at those jell pads they make.   Some
guys that say they really make a difference.

Also just don't over-do it and sour Paula by long trip. Keep them on the
shorter side for her and make lots of stops.
Ron