All you who know Julie's story,  I just have to let you in on this.

Joan has a sinus infection so this afternoon I went to see Julie alone.  It was
close to supper time when I got there so they got Julie out of bed and into the
chair.  When she was ready I asked her if she wanted a drink of water.  I told
her if she wanted a drink to nod yes, if not, nod no.  Without hesitation she
nodded 'yes'.  I was stunned.  I almost forgot to go get water.  When I
recovered I said I will be right back and I went and got water.  Then I asked
her if she wanted to drink it herself.  She slowly took the cup and with my
hand under it to support it, she raised the cup to her lips and drank.  Again I
was amazed.  By then her dinner tray was outside her room.  I brought it in,
removed the cover and realised she was now on solid food - sort of,  it was
noodles and sauce, chopped peaches, etc. but no more pureed stuff.  I put a tea
bag in the hot water and picked up a sachet of sugar, trying to remember
whether she took sugar in her tea or not.  I said to her, 'Julie, I can't
remember whether you have sugar in your tea or not.' As I opened the sachet, I
said to her, 'tell me Julie yes or no?' She looked at me and in the clearest
voice said 'yes'. I dropped the sugar into the tea and was flabbergasted.  I
didn't know what to do.  She spoke and it was clear without slur or hesiation.
Then she just smiled at me. A nurse came in just minutes later and I told her
Julie spoke, she said yes.  The nurse tried to get Julie to do it again but
Julie just smiled, rolled her eyes and looked away.  She wasn't going to do it
for show.
She finished her dinner.  I kept dropping the noodles down the front of her and
she kept laughing.  I wasn't trying to be funny.  It's not easy feeding noodles
to someone.  What do you use the fork or spoon?  We then watched TV for a while
and she laughed at the commercials.  When I left she was back in bed, quite
contented it seemed.
Oh, the physical therapist left a note for 'the family'  'Please bring socks
and sneakers for Julie tomorrow.'  She walked the length of the hallway and
back and she has been cleared to go outside for half an hour tomorrow.  I
should add, it must have been agonizing for Julie to do that.  She cried when
she got to the end of the hallway and then when she got back to her room. The
PTs said it was really hard for her but she persisted beyond their expectations
for her and the crying may also have been just expressing emotions she is
unable to articulate.
On the way home I kept turning over in my mind what I had just seen in the last
two hours, absolutely incredible, the miraculous. Graham 4/30/2013, 10.04 pm