I second taking the safety course.
I also agree that getting the feel of your brakes is important, just don't get
too aggressive with it, especially the front, as it can toss you off pretty
quickly if you brake on an imperfect surface or in a turn.
Start thinking defensive driving, your not in a cage anymore, you have very
little protection compared to cagers. So every one of them is a potential
killing machine. I'm constantly scanning left, right and rear view. Keep as
much cushion as possible, don't tailgate and don't let anyone tailgate you when
you can avoid it. Only other thing I can suggest is making sure your machine is
100%, here are a few things to make sure you check.

1) Tires for dry rot, date and pressure.
2) Brakes for function, do you have to pump to get enough pressure? Are you
pulling the lever all the way to the grip?
3) Is your bike stalling out at stop signs or lights? This can cause
embarrassing, dangerous and stressful situations..
4) Know your fuel on, off and reserve functions, I set my trip meter every time
I fill, it makes it a snap to calculate my fuel usage as well as tracking how
far I have before sweating switching to reserve. I've ridden my 84 for over 2
years now and have used reserve twice using this methodology.

That's all I can think of for now.
Other than post some pics & Ride Safe...
Mike