Yes, the bike has only around 5K total miles!

It did sit for a few years before I bought it. I pulled the plugs, #1 is
definitely black and fouled. 2, 3, and 4 look fine.
I don't have a black cloud that follows me around. Not a literal one anyway
;)
I haven't done a compression test, I got a buddy with a gauge, I think.
The 550 is a shaft drive. The final drive oil is not the same as the engine
oil.
The cylinder head gasket lets just a little bit out, but not all the way
around, only on the sides. I hadn't noticed that before my trip. I didn't
really notice any more than that.

So there's that, but it sure isn't 3 quarts worth of an explanation...