Right, but not so easy. I'm not familiar with any Atlanta area key shops,
but I'm familiar with some back in my hometown. So I've taken the key back
when I was on vacation and had lots of time, and I've had the hometown
shops make dupes. These were real dedicated locksmiths, not part-timers at
Ace Hardware. You would think they could cut a key to match and work. But
every time I've gotten back here and stuck them in the bike, no dice.

Part of the reason seems to be that the ignition switch has been replaced,
and nobody is sure what the blank is. I doesn't look like the gas cap key.
Do aftermarket manufacturers of ignition switches for 1978 Hondas exist?

I guess I'll have to put tags and insurance on the '78 this year and ride
it somewhere local to have them make a key from the bike, possibly for $100
or so as people have said. Since the bike only gets a couple hundred miles
a year put on it at best these days, I've just been leaving the keys in the
ignition in my garage. That way, I know they won't get lost.