Check! "Hague sensor"... I've been adding markers to the pdf someone nicely
made available of the Shop Service Manual to make it searchable by typing
keywords. Not anytime soon, but maybe I will do enough of it to be
generally useful to others.

On Sat, Sep 5, 2015 at 4:05 PM, Graham Rogers <grahamjoanrog...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Remove the tank by unscrewing and prying up on the stripped bolt.
> Disconnect the fuel Hague sensor wires first. You should see them close to
> the tank, left hand side under the seat.
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Sep 5, 2015, at 15:49, Owen O'Neill <owen...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> (It's funny how when I was checking out the carburetors, I turned the
> throttle and when the slides didn't move I thought I was going insane
> before I decided that there might be more than the one type of carburetor I
> know, such as a vacuum operated one, and indeed there is when I went back
> to my computer. I need a tablet or at least waste an ink cartridge to print
> out the manual if I'm going to do work on this thing XD )
>
> On Sat, Sep 5, 2015 at 2:42 PM, Kyle Munz <kyle...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The fuelcock is vacuum actuated. When in the ON or RES position you also
>> have to apply vacuum to open the diaphragm before any fuel will flow. If
>> that vacuum line is no longer attached you won't get fuel to the carbs.
>>

>> -Kyle
>>
>> On Sat, Sep 5, 2015 at 1:31 PM, Owen O'Neill <owen...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> '83 650 I bought 2 months ago. I've never worked on a motorcycle or
>>> driven one before. Mopeds, yes, mopeds like you would not believe but I
>>> find that this completely different, 100 times more complicated and I
>>> cannot pick this machine up off the ground and carry it or spark it up by
>>> just nudging it forward.
>>> ...Right after I bought this sexy looking machine I took it around a
>>> bit, stalling all the time shifting out of N :) -- and it had no problem
>>> starting up and it ran very powerfully. I even zoomed up to 45mph in 1st
>>> gear for a few seconds and it seemed like it could go much faster than that
>>> without redlining.
>>>
>>> (  I noticed the air filters were caked with pollen and grime, so I took
>>> them off and cleaned them. Getting these (K&N things) back on was arduous
>>> because the previous owner, as I discovered, had stripped that bolt for
>>> taking off the gas tank. It just turns and turns.That's a whole big deal in
>>> itself because I have no ideas other than maybe trying to get a crowbar
>>> under the bolt's head to pry it out-- Or better a hacksaw there I guess now
>>> thinking about that again.  )
>>>
>>> ==================> The main problem/question I have though is about how
>>> it won't start up at all now after I was forced to let it sit for 2 months.
>>> Fuel stabilizer in the tank, valve turned off. I put a brand new good
>>> battery on it, and It fired up briefly but that was probably from the
>>> residual gas in the carbs and starting fluid I sprayed into the carb
>>> intakes when the filters were off. And the tank is 90% full, with a cup of
>>> Seafoam. Whether it's turned to ON or RES, shouldn't fuel normally  just
>>> pour out of this valve by gravity? I don't immediately go to blame it on
>>> the valve, because the fuel gauge LCD is blinking "RES". would a somehow
> [...]