... and this from the peanut gallery.

ok, YMMV etc.
I have the same struggle when I do front brakes. Ironically I find that if
I do the best I can, making sure the little pin-hole is clean and all the
parts are in good shape, it still is soft and unresponsive.
If you know the air is out of the slave then leave the master reservoir up
high, filled, and uncovered, all night long, The time has actually allowed
the bubbles to rise out and leaves the brakes as tight as I could ever get
them with the mity-vac.
Gravity, it works.