Tommy, you can do as you like, but consider this. I started my wrenching
career by buying an XJ550 Yamaha in NC for $200. Once I finally got it to
run, I found out that the clutch slipped like crazy. The plates didn't look
bad, so I just put springs in it. It was fine and never slipped again.
Sold it that way. That's why, when the Magna started slipping, I bought
springs and bolts for it. Thing is, it only slipped in the winter. When the
weather warmed up, it was fine, even if I jumped on it. Well, I didn't ride
it so much in the winter, so I never got around to it. Sold it that way.

Also, you're going to be breaking the seal on the case. You can either buy
a gasket or make your own. I remember Allen recommending coating your cover
edges with oil, setting it on some bulk gasket material from the auto parts
store, and cutting out your own. Permatex also does the job, I've found. If
this is on a 700SC, Partzilla has it for like $4, so I guess it's a
non-issue.

Javier, remember how the clutch was slipping badly on Ol' Yeller? My buddy
Jim up in Maine looked at it and decided the cable needed more slack. Two
minutes later, it was fixed and has never slipped again.