Choke on, fully charged battery, no throttle, hit the starter button On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 3:02 PM ChrisV <[email protected]> wrote:
> I bought a project bike and I'm ready to attempt starting for the first > time. Any specific tips or tricks? There is a decent chance that she > won't start and needs a carb rebuild but there is reason for hope. Here is > a brief history: > > Bought the bike being told that it hadn't run in 6 months and needed a > professional carb cleaning. Got it home, started checking things out. No > fuel flowing through petcock. Tank completely rusty inside. Petcock > completely choked with rust and funk. The silver lining is that the final > screen in the bottom bowl of the petcock was completely spotless, as was > the inside of the fuel line from petcock to carbs. No sign that either had > ever seen a speck of rust or gunk. > > So there is reason for me to hope (fingers crossed) that the previous > owner was simply guessing at why his bike wouldn't fire up. I pulled the > tank, acid washed it, red-koted it, rebuilt the petcock, and it's all ready > to go back together and see what happens. I have also tested compression > and replaced spark plugs with NGK's. The engine does fire with carb > cleaner down the throats of the carbs and makes beautiful music for a few > seconds. > > What's my best bet for starting procedure when it's assembled and I'm > ready to hit the start button tomorrow? How much choke? Should I try it > on gas alone or should I spray a little carb cleaner until she remembers > what it's like to drink on her own? I'm a believer in Marvel Mystery oil > after I've seen it solve major clogged jet issues on another Honda so I was > thinking of running the first tank with Marvel to clear out whatever junk > might be in the jets. Should I wait on that? > > I fully expect tomorrow to come with its fair share of frustration and > head scratching. That's all part of the fun of turning wrenches. But if > there is any wisdom to be shared from you, I'm wise enough to learn from > others. If she needs a professional carb rebuild, so be it. But I would > love to be able to at least bring it in running rough rather than a > completely dead heap. > > Any thoughts at all that you have to share, I'm all ears. > > Thanks, > Chris > > -- > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups > "Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group. > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an > email to [email protected]. > To post to this group, send email to [email protected]. > Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers. > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. > -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected]. To post to this group, send email to [email protected]. Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers. For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
