If it shows FULL right after filling up and then quickly falls off to empty
after a few miles then the sending unit is loose. Once you remove it as
Graham described and look under the metal cover you will see a coil of
copper wires what looks like a tiny copper fork that rakes across the wires
when the float arm goes up and down. On mine this contraption had gotten
sloppy over the years and it only made contact when the arm was all the way
up (when the tank was full). I just cleaned it up all up, bent the fork a
bit so it always makes contact with the coils, and put it back together.
You can watch it sweep up and down with an Ohm meter but it's a bit delayed
so move the arm and wait a few seconds to see the change on your meter.

-Kyle