Hi Christopher,

you wrote:
"has anyone on this list ever used the Tokina 100-300mm f/4 or Tokina
400mm f/5.6?  I am interested in any opinions..."

I own the Tokina 400mm f/5.6 Manual focus that I use on my F301 and
F801s.
Mechanically it is very well built: heavy, well balanced, it has a very
smooth and wide focus ring and a built in lens hood. Only the tripod
mount is a little undersized, not so firm.
Optically, in my opinion, it is only a medium performer. Its sharpness
is not impressive.

If you find this lens used and low priced (I bought mine for about 220
US$) and intend to use it for leisure, buy it.
If you mean to do critical works go for a Nikon MF 400 5.6 IF used, at
least.

Bye

Riccardo

Rome Italy