> I have been searching for a document on
        > the web documenting the compatibility of
        > the TC-16A - does anyone know of one that
        > exists (like the manual)?

        That would be nice.

        The manual for the TC-16A isn't very useful.  It only
        lists a couple of lenses.  I guess it dates from way
        back in the dark ages when there were only a few AF
        lenses.

        The reason it gives for not using the TC-16A with
        some lenses is that it could damage the teleconverter.
        Looking at the lenses that I own which are specifically
        listed as NOT compatible, what they seem to have in
        common a rear element that protrudes past the lens
        mount.  Maybe somebody else here knows the reason
        for certain.

        > I am specifically interested in compat.
        > w/ N90s & 300mm f/4 AF / 180mm f/2.8D.

        It works fine with the AF 180mm/f2.8N.   I don't think
        that the 'D' differs from the 'N' except for the upgraded
        electronics.

        When I bought the teleconverter, I spent a couple of
        minutes playing with the store's 300mm/f4 on it.  It
        auto-focused well, and the image looked great through
        the viewfinder, but I didn't shoot any film with it.

        Image quality with my old 300/4.5 (non-ED, non-IF) is
        decent, so I suspect that with the dramatically better
        optics of the newer 300, the combination would be
        excellent.

        -Don