Hello Nikon Digest fans,

A query.  After having taken countless number of flash photos,
on film I ordered a Kodak Photo-CD of a wedding reception
taken recently.  I was very surprised.

The photos were taken of the guests at various tables
at the reception.  On the prints, the exposure looked fine.
On the Photo-CD I was very surprised to find that the
people standing behind the tables were severely underexposed,
but the white table cloth in front and the items on the table
were perfectly exposed.  The table cloth occupies the bottom
1/3 of the frame, and did an excellent job of fooling the TTL
flash.  Looks like the photo processor was doing a superb job on
compensating for the mishap.  (I owe them one for Christmas...)

The question I have is would using AF-D technology cause
the camera/flash combination to know that the intended
subject were the people and not the table cloth and
expose the TTL flash correctly?  This one was shot with
manual focus lenses, N90s and a SB-26 TTL flash.

I know how AF-D works, and that the lens distance information
is used as part of the flash exposure calculation.  I just
that I didn't realize how far off the TTL exposures with the
manual lenses were and now I want to reconsider the use of
AF-D lenses for flash photography work.  Any comments?

Ron H
--
"Reality is the basis of all successful projects." - KH7O 12/8/1998