Nicholas, I have been to Italy a lot of times with a lot of
equipment including an F4, an F5 and a Hasselblad 2000 FC,
last time this spring for the "carnevale di Venezia". I have never
lost as much as a lens cap in streets where you could literally
walk on peoples heads and the police had to enforce "one-way-
pedestrians". (A girls who wanted to buy something in a shop was
handed from one to the other above our heads :-) )
One really amazing guy even carried his hassi outfit (lots of
long lenses) worth about $30k on a trolley.
I always carry only as much equipent as I need, close to me,
sometimes under my parka, and I´m very careful when taking
pictures never to leave my bag open.
So I wouldn´t worry to much about your equipment in Italy.
Happy shooting!
Alex