John - I'm amazed about this article. I've used a Nikormat, a FM2, a 801s
and a F4s at the same job all with  50mm f1.4 lens - all used by different
people & you cant tell the difference between the pics. If youv'e got camera
shake in your 801 shots due to camera shake, I'd suggest it is probably due
to operator induced shake not due to shutter curtain induced shake.

Using a tripod will NOT make any difference to the auto focus!
Using a tripod will NOT make any difference to shutter induced shake!
But using a tripod WILL eliminate operator induced shake!

Sometimes we see & believe what we want to see or believe and another
upmarket piece of gear becomes the supposed answer.
I have purchased plenty of gear over the years that has fallen into this
category & had no problems - or bank debit. When talking to the ex-owners
they have later admitted they just wanted to upgrade and there really wasn't
a problem.
I think you should sell your 801 real cheap - (because its obviously faulty)
this will make some one else real happy to get a bargain that probably works
fine. Perhaps you really need the new F100.

Tony