Periodically I read messages to the Digest from F and F2 owners with
jumpy or dead Photomic heads who have been told parts are no longer
available to repair them. I've been using Southeast Camera Repair
Service in Norcross, GA, for the last two years, and while talking to
Kenny, their Nikon tech, he has informed me that they have found a
substitute ring resistor for photomic heads that will repair them.
Unfortunately, the FRE glass resistors used in the DP-2, DP-3 and DP-12
heads (F2S, F2SB and F2AS) are not replaceable, however the DP-1 and
DP-11 (F2 Photomic and F2A)as well as the F Photomic ring resistors are
replaceable, and they have the parts. Their prices are very reasonable.

Also, they still have replacement nylon gears for the MD-3, and the AW-1
motors used with the Nikkormats ELW and EL2. They also just repaired an
MD-2 for me using scavenged used parts. They replaced the entire motor
and gear assembly for $60! Nikon Professional Service (NPS) wouldn't
touch it for lack of parts and it is considered "obsolete" by them, and
all of the other estimates were well over $200 _if_ they could find
parts, which they all said was unlikely.

I have no relationship with this repair outfit other than being a very
well satisfied customer. It would be best to call first
(770-441-7700)and speak to Kenny Keegan (Nikon tech) to confirm that he
can make the needed repair. Their info is: Southeast Camera Repair
Service, 6300 Jimmy Carter Boulevard, Suite 102, Norcross, GA 30071.

I suspect that like me there are other F, F2 and Nikkormat owners who
will refuse to let their Nikons die. I hope this helps. Happy Holidays
to all.

Tyler Knapp
Coral Gables, Florida