Just a few comments about this Nikon film scanner based upon my
experiences since its recent purchase.

20 seconds to scan a negative?

Well, I must be doing something wrong, as a preview "scan" which it
seems to do on its own is about a minute in length. Upon selecting which
negative I want scanned from the strip, it is another minute and fifteen
seconds before I then can save the final scanned image and work on it
with Adobe PhotoShop 4 [soon to be 5]. The quality of the scan seems
superb. I have not bothered with the "auto fix" for scratches and
fingerprints.

The dealer I ordered it from failed to include the SCSI cable when it
was first shipped. I called and they did finally send the "wrong" cable
[about two weeks later!]. Depending on your computer, you may need a
different cable than the one supplied. This can cost another $35, or so,
U.S. dollars. Some words of advice. Make certain your scanner cable is
NOT longer than three feet in length, or you may have problems. I could
explain why, but who would profit. Hint - capacitive reactance?

The LS-2000 scanner works beautifully [albeit it at a snail's pace]. I
might add as an aside that many negatives that produced ghastly prints
when run through an ordinary "standard" commercial photo processor may
turn out to be superb. Unless you made ghastly exposure errors, that
great picture you saw in the camera's view finder is really there, IF,
you adjust the color balance and "curves" [brightness and contrast]
using good image manipulation software such as Adobe PhotoShop.

The remarks above are aimed at "amateurs". I have found in the past that
the "stupid" problems I have with a product often reflect that of other
"idiots" who are confused, misread the instructions, or what have you,
just like me. I welcome any suggestions from other users who may have
discovered ways to deal with the problems [especially the slow scanning
speed] I mentioned above. I've been too busy enjoying the LS-2000, slow
as it is, to have made any more than a cursory attempt to cure these
difficulties.

I previously owned a Microtek scanner. Ghastly piece of junk with rotten
technical support. It took three years to get the proper software
drivers, and then the unit crapped out after about a month's use. It was
even slower than the 2000!

Thomas B. Roach
Grass Valley, CA