Anthony Newland wrote:

> Greetings

Thanks for the reply.

[snip]

> > The question I have is would using AF-D technology cause
> > the camera/flash combination to know that the intended
> > subject were the people and not the table cloth and
> > expose the TTL flash correctly?
>
> Well, to a certain extent yes - In your situation, as long as the
> table cloth didn't intrude on thesegment that would be used to
> control exposure on your subject, then the system would work
> flawlessly.

Could you elaborate where the segment sensors are located in the
field of view?  Is there perhaps a website showing the pattern?

> When the flash is the key light source I use +0.3 compensation as
> standard to get the same output level as standard TTL. Without
> additional compensation, the preflash system with D lenses still
> yields underexposure with people in light/white clothes or against a
> white/light background. I need to dial up +0.7 or even +1
> compensation to get correct exposures.

I think I'm beginning to understand some of the earlier threads
on this discussion....thanks for the practical field experience.

> >This one was shot with manual focus lenses, N90s and a SB-26 TTL flash.
>
> This is interesting - perhaps you might be able to shed light on a
> question of mine!
>
> My F90X is a fairly early model (serial # 225....).
> Measurements with my flashmeter showed that my F90X with MF lenses in
> CW/Spot fill mode always gives -0.7EV compensation even below EV10
> where fill exposures are not possible! Does yours have the same
> characteristic? (Or were you using standard TTL?)
>
> Regards
> Anthony
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Sorry, I don't have a flashmeter for comparison.  One point
you may have noticed if you accidentally leave the SB-26 head
pointed down in the -7 degree position (below the click stop),
it will give a -0.7EV compensation.  I've been bitten at some
occasions where I forgot to wiggle the head to ensure it clicks
into position and turn off the -0.7EV factor.  I'm forming the
habit of wiggling the head to ensure I know what I got before
I bring the camera to my eye...I usually leave the camera in
matrix metering mode, which I believe switches to CW if
it can't matrix 3D correctly with a manual lens.  (I better
reread the manual on this one to state it correctly.)

Mines is S/N #2454xxx.

Ron H
--
"Reality is the basis of all successful projects." - KH7O 12/8/1998