I just purchased a Nikon F5 and have a question concerning custom function
number 1.  Specifically, I would like to know how well continuous servo AF
with focus priority works (e.g., what would be a reasonable frame rate to
expect, especially with the 80-200 2.8D later model with tripod collar.

I have been shooting a F3/MD-4 and a N90s in manual mode for quite some time
and so I am used to a frame approaching 5fps...if I could get that with the
increased AF accuracy of focus-priority I'd go for it in a heartbeat.

FYI:  this combo will be used mainly for photographing NCAA basketball.