> > 2) Varifocus?  After focusing at 200, the lens wants
  > >    to refocus when zoomed out to 80 and vice versa.
      >
      > That's not right -- something's broken/misadjusted.

I have the non-collared 80-200mm f2.8 D   and it is slightly vari-focal.
Just double check.  You'll see it as well.

  > > 3) 2 lent particles on inner front element.

I had my second hand lens cleaned after I bought it - there was a lot of
particles inside the lens close to the front element.  The front group
moves so much, that it surely must suck suck air.

PS .. it is a lovely lens.  Wonderfully sharp.  Love it.

Neil
http://www.icon.co.za/~south/