James:

I believe your reply on the F100 data imprinting is misleading. I'll try to
clarify.

The F100 allows frame 0 imprinting of the exposure data just like the F5.
But the camera by itself doesn't have the mechanism for imprinting that
data, which is why you need the databack (it has the necessary LEDs).
PhotoSecretary is not required for data to be imprinted (I think I know what
you were trying to say in your post, but the grammar got in the way and
changed the meaning ;-). If I'm using PhotoSecretary, I generally don't
waste the shot to imprint data on the roll, as it really doesn't help that
much in matching up roll and data (marking roll numbers and keeping careful
track is usually easier and achieves the same thing).

The original question asked was "what kind of data is imprinted?"  I'm doing
this off the top of my head, but I believe it is: exposure mode, aperture,
shutter speed, exposure compensation, lens, flash, and something else I'm
not remembering right now. Note that the lens needs to have a CPU for all
this to be captured.

Thom Hogan
Executive Editor, BACKPACKER Magazine
author, The Nikon Field Guide (Silver Pixel Press)
www.bythom.com