>If one is running a computer that is scsi as opposed to an IDE
>machine, you must know if it is "scsi 2" or "scsi 3" (scsi 3 being
>Ultra Fast or Ultra Fast/Ultra Wide). If your computer is "scsi 2",
>then the Nikon supplied cable is fine, 50 pin "scsi 2" connectors on
>each end. If your computer is "scsi 3" then you need a cable which has
>a "scsi 2" 50 pin connector on one end and a "scsi 3" 68 pin connector
>on the other end.
>
>The back of the LS2000/LS-30 has 2, 50 pin "scsi 2" connectors. If
>your scsi computer is Ultra Fast or Ultra Fast/Ultra Wide, then the
>external scsi connector is 68 pin "scsi 3".
>
>Okay, slowly now:
>The above info re- the use of scsi computers, is based on **NOT**
>using the Nikon supplied scsi adaptor card. The supplied scsi adaptor
>card is *normally* to be used in IDE type computers. If you have a
>scsi computer, then you do not need to use the supplied adaptor card.
>Most scsi type computers have an external scsi connector (50 pin or 68
>pin) on the back of the computer. If you do not have an external scsi
>connector (maybe on older scsi machines) then you can route the
>*appropriate* scsi cable into the back of the computer and connect to
>the scsi bus.

As if things were not already complicated enough with this issue, there is
one additional caveat that I feel should be mentioned here.  Just because
your computer has an external SCSI connector does not necessarily mean that
you can use it.  Some SCSI controllers (e.g. Adaptec AHA-2940 Ultra Wide)
have two internal SCSI connectors and one external SCSI connector.  Due to
issues related to SCSI termination, if you are using both internal
connectors, then you cannot use the external connector.  This fact is
clearly stated by the manual.  I would suggest that before using an
external SCSI connector, you check the documentation for your SCSI
controller or with its manufacturer to determine if there are any instances
where the external connector cannot be used.

Barton Stanley