On Fri, 18 Dec 1998 16:49:54 +1300, you wrote:

>Just a few comments about this Nikon film scanner based upon my
>experiences since its recent purchase.
>
>The dealer I ordered it from failed to include the SCSI cable when it
>was first shipped. I called and they did finally send the "wrong" cable
>[about two weeks later!]. Depending on your computer, you may need a
>different cable than the one supplied. This can cost another $35, or so,

If one is running a computer that is scsi as opposed to an IDE
machine, you must know if it is "scsi 2" or "scsi 3" (scsi 3 being
Ultra Fast or Ultra Fast/Ultra Wide). If your computer is "scsi 2",
then the Nikon supplied cable is fine, 50 pin "scsi 2" connectors on
each end. If your computer is "scsi 3" then you need a cable which has
a "scsi 2" 50 pin connector on one end and a "scsi 3" 68 pin connector
on the other end.

The back of the LS2000/LS-30 has 2, 50 pin "scsi 2" connectors. If
your scsi computer is Ultra Fast or Ultra Fast/Ultra Wide, then the
external scsi connector is 68 pin "scsi 3".

Okay, slowly now:
The above info re- the use of scsi computers, is based on **NOT**
using the Nikon supplied scsi adaptor card. The supplied scsi adaptor
card is *normally* to be used in IDE type computers. If you have a
scsi computer, then you do not need to use the supplied adaptor card.
Most scsi type computers have an external scsi connector (50 pin or 68
pin) on the back of the computer. If you do not have an external scsi
connector (maybe on older scsi machines) then you can route the
*appropriate* scsi cable into the back of the computer and connect to
the scsi bus.

To sum up, the supplied cable works with the Nikon supplied scsi
adaptor card for IDE machines, and also with computers with "scsi 2"
bus systems.

Whew!!
Confusing, aye?  Welcome to the wonderful world of computers.
So was my F5 when I first bought it.

>U.S. dollars. Some words of advice. Make certain your scanner cable is
>NOT longer than three feet in length, or you may have problems. I could
>explain why, but who would profit. Hint - capacitive reactance?

I humbly disagree (I'm sorry :) ). The scsi cable whether "scsi 2" or
"scsi 3" can be up to but no longer than 20 ft. I have used many scsi
cables that were aproaching 20 feet with no problems. No loss of bits
and no loss in data transfer rate. The object here is to use a
**quality** cable. A quality cable being one that uses a shield around
*each* conductor and also a shield around all the conductors. Possibly
some pairs in the cable may also be twisted. I am not sure about that
though.

I am currently using a 6 foot cable and have no problems.

Al Simcoe
Al Simcoe
SimCom Consulting Technologies
E-MAIL:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]