Gabor,

I've used that "cheap jewel" for more than three years as my favourite - it
came with my used F3HP and I'm still happy with the sharp pictures I've
made with this lens.

>The compactness and lightness of this
>lense attracted me immediately.

Beneath the optical qualitiy (Am I right, that the E-series didn't got the
same coating as the other Nikkors?), the compactness is a real advantage.
When you lift your camera, it'll feel a 50mm lense is mounted - but when
you look through the viewfinder...

>I'm interested in hearing about
>the optical quality of this lense from people that have used it.

As I shot mostly B&W during the time I've owned the 100E/2.8, I can't say
very  about its color-qualitiy - but this lense _is_ producing sharp
images, no vignetting has been discovered.
I sold it in favour of the AF-DC 105/2 - for weight reasons I sometimes
wish the  100E/2.8 to be back in the pocket (of my jacket)...

---
 Marco Silbernagel                 | German Maintainer of:
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]   | o Diarahmen-Tips Liste
 http://privat.schlund.de/theNAIL/ | o Gebrauchte Fotosachen FAQ