Hi, I have both lenses. Your choice, as always, depends on your type of
photography.  The 24-120 has great range in focal length, but is slow at 5.6
on the long end.  It is useful for outdoor daylight shots and close range
flash.
The 35-70 2.8 is sharper and much faster. If you shoot in marginal light, or
indoors where flash is not allowed, or flash at longer distances it is the
better choice.
I just came back from Rome where I carried both lenses.  Weather in December
is mostly cloudy, plus much of what I shot was indoors without flash (not
allowed), the 35-70 2.8 saved the day.  I used the 35-70 80-90% of the
time.

One additional thought, if you can wait a few months the 28-105 3.5-4.5 may
be a good compromise between the two. I intend to sell my 6 month old 24-120
to get the 28-105 when it comes out.
Good luck, Chuck