During the Christmas days I've read some books about the Nikon system
and encountered one topic which surprised and worried me a bit: All
professional cameras (from F2 to F4) were initially highly disapproved
by most Nikoneers using the current F-generation. The F2 was a "toy",
the F3 was too electronical, the F4 was Nikon's death because of AF.
Of course, all of theme became classical Nikons some years after
their introduction.

Only the F5 was accepted from the first moment on, it was even
treated as a God, as someone on the list has put it. Does this mean,
that this is the first time that an F is not visionary but only
extrapolating current technology? Could that be reason that Nikon's
market share (at least in Germany) declined so strongly as compared
to pre-AF times?

What do you think?