> Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 23:12:57 +0200
> From: "John" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: SB-28 under-exposing? [v04.n180/14]
> Message: 14
>
> >I have a Nikon SB-28 flash ,(my second actually) that consistently
> >under-exposes in TTL/Matrix mode.
>
> Hi Kevin - I must say that I too find my SB28 consistently underexposes when
> coupled to the F5 in TTL/Matrix mode (whether attatched to an SC17 cord or
> not). In fact I find when I do everything manually with the SB28 on my old
> FM body everything comes out fine (even after I've had a bit of christmas
> cheer!).

        Hello.  I own neither the SB28 nor the F5, but this sounds
        quite like the many postings I've seen about the SB26.

        Basically, with 3D MBFF enabled you're going to get AT LEAST
        0.7 stops of flash output reduction; this will be noticeable
        if your flash is the main light sorce (ie, not fill).

        You can press the "M" button to go into standard TTL mode
        and underexposure problem should go away.  However, as others
        have pointed out, this is tying the hands -- so to speak -- of
        great Nikon flash system.  Better to stay in 3DMBFF and just
        dial in +0.7 comp. on the flash.  Again, we're talking about
        flash as the key/main light source.

        I've read on the EOS digest that some (recent) Canon flash/bodies
        only engage "auto fill" down to a certain EV level; below that
        it presumes flash as key light and gives full output, unless
        you set it otherwise.

Regards,
Chris
--
Wilderness, wilderness... we scarely know what we mean _/ Christopher Somers
by the term, though the sound of it draws all whose  _/ Rise Technology