I have done the same experiment than you (F5 + 24-120), and those are my
conclusions:
- When you set AF, depending on the focus area, it gives you a different
exposure reading and but I thing that is because F5 tries to weight the
exposure of the point you are focusing with respect to the rest of the
matrix. For example, if the real o ideal 3D matrix exposure is (let's say)
125 f8, if you focus in an area that is darker than the rest of the matrix,
the exposure could be 80 f8, and if you switch to a different area lighter
than the average of the matrix, it could be 150 f8, but anyway, I think it
is independent of the area you chose, I mean, you can have different
exposure in each area if the composition you chose has a very difficult and
variable kind of light.
- When you set MF, your exposure should be the ideal than the machine set
regardless of the focus area (so 125 f8 in the example used before)
That's what I thing IMHO (thanks to all people than sent to me the
explanation of this expresion)

Javier López