Hi everyone,

Well, I did it.  I dug my self into debt and into heaven simultaneously.  I bought the
F5.

I would like to thank everyone that replied to my F5 Help posting.  Your comments
about the flaws and down sides were perfect.

And, after two days use, I can offer my own, first-impression assessment of the F5.

The Bad:

1) Not a performance problem, but a customer service problem.  I just bought a $2,000
camera and Nikon couldn't even give me a BF-1A body cap!  Just that Cheap-O clear
plastic one.
2) I do not like the fact that if I choose to use the aperture ring on the lens as
opposed to the command dial on the body, the body will not display the f-stop
digitally.  I know that I still have the ADR - which I love - but I still think that
traditional aperture rings are easier to deal with.
3) I also wish that there was a custom function to leave the leader out upon rewind.
4) I also wish there was a way to turn off the AF-ON buttons.  I seem to accidentally
bump them (especially the one on the lover portion of the camera back) and then the
body focused randomly.
5) Like many said, I wish there was a command dial for SS on the vert. release.

The Good:

1) The F5 is simply amazing.  It is so fast!!!  The AF, the motor-drive, the rewind
time.  It is awesome!!!
2) The weight is actually better than I anticipated.  I am used to lugging around an
F3/MD-4/MK-1 combo and the F5 actually seems lighter.
3) Far more than my N90S, the F5 feels like a pro camera - like the F3.  I know that
the F5 is (almost) as rugged as they come (F3).
4) The practical function that the N90S does not have: Auto bracketing, multiple
exposures, long shutter speeds, variable FPS rate, "SILENT MODE," manual rewind
feature (very silent - great for press conferences) ... etc, etc...

This list will certainly be amended as I have only shot 10 rolls thus far with my new
toy.  But, again, I would like to thank everyone for their input.

Well, I am off to brave the blizzard here in central Iowa and track down some wild art
for Monday.  Happy shooting!!!

-Michael L. Palmieri

P.S.  I will be selling my N90S/MB-10 combo.  They are both cosmetically 9+ and
functionally 10s.  If anyone out there is interested in buying them, e-mail me at

Palmieri Photography

Michael L. Palmieri

816 Roosevelt Street  *  Apt. #2

Story City, IA  *  50248