>> I've got new 85/1.8 AFD recently and I'm very disappointed with it's
>> mechanical quality. When I shake it I clearly feel that something is
>> shaking inside.

I think it is the rear element and its assembly.

If you focus the lens at infinity such that the rear element protrudes
slightly out of the lens mount, and shake it, you can hear the noise.
If you use a finger to press the rear element assembly against one side
and then shake it, the noise is gone.

This is a rear-focus lens. The rear element assembly is so loose, no
wonder the MF of this lens is extremely loose.

Liang-Wu Cai --- Home Page: http://mit.edu/cai/www/
   Photography Page: http://mit.edu/cai/www/photography.html