> Date: Sat, 2 Jan 1999 13:50:17 -0800
> From: "Del Toyd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Lens selection for hiking [v04.n184/8]
> Message: 8
>
> I recently came back from spending a month doing some volunteer work in
> Bhutan.  On weekends we would make some local treks into the surrounding
> hills and shoot pictures.  The equipment I took were Nikkor 2.8D zooms
> (20-35, 35-70, & 80-200) and an N90s body with SB-26 flash.  My associate
> took an Elan II and 2 of Canon's "consumer grade" lenses (28-80 3.5-5.6 and
> 75-300 4-5.6).  We both used Fuji Velvia and shot mostly the same material
> under similar light.

Jim,

        First off, I have to say "I don't believe it."  I don't believe
        that you and your associate could have gotten the same results
        w/ the equipment you listed.  This has nothing to do w/ C v. N,
        but everything to do w/ shooting ISO 50 film, and what f2.8 lenses
        will allow you to shoot v. the 3.5-5.6 variety.  ... maybe shooting
        from a tripod, and stopped-down, yes.  But shooting wide-open I
        would expect quality differences.  I would also expect you to be
        able to hand-hold in lower light, be able to blow-out the backgrounds
        better on longer focal lengths, and have better distortion control.

        BUT, seeing as this has nothing to do w/ your question, let me move on :)

        For backpacking, where weight is at the ultimate premium, I carry:

        o FE2 (light batteries, easy to carry spares; mech. cable release)
        o 24/2.8D
        o 50/1.8E (oh-so-very light at 4.4 oz.)
        o 135/2.8
        o SB-25 flash

        I don't worry about longer focal lengths, so I can't help you there.
        My suggestion might be to add the TC14B to get a 190/4.  Or, maybe
        add the 180/2.8 and the TC14B to reach further still.

        For *travel* photography, my setup is a little more extensive, but
        again I don't carry longer focal lengths:

        o N90/MB26
        o 20/2.8D
        o 24-120
        o 35/1.4 AI
        o 135/2.8
        o SB25

        The zoom is a great convenience.  But for low light solutions, the 35mm
        is there (plus the 135/2.8 at the long end).  The 20mm lens is invaluable
        for interiors.

        All these lenses give great quality (I've made many Cibachrome enlargements
        from the slides).  The only thing my eye is sensitive to is the distortion
        of the zoom; it just can't compete w/ the primes.

Regards,
Chris
--
As with so much of what people leave behind,   | Christopher Somers
it's difficult to say what was meant.          | Rise Technology