xinghao <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in the Nikon-Digest
[v04.n184/14]

>Please give your opinions about the performance of the Nikkor AF 300/f4.
>Any suggestion is welcome.

Greetings!

I have owned this lens for two years.  It is outstanding.  Extremely sharp
at all focused distances, excellent contrast and color rendition.
Autofocus is very fast on my F90x.  It's well-balanced on the F90x/MB-10,
but it also handles very well on my FM2.  In summary, I've been very
pleased with it, and I recommend it highly for anyone seeking a 300mm lens.

At the time I purchased the 300mm f4 AF lens, I posted results of a
side-by-side test I made between this lens and the 300mm f4.5 EDIF AIS.  I
don't have that information any longer, but I imagine it's in the digest
archives somewhere.  The bottom line was that both are extremely good, with
just a slight sharpness advantage going to the 300 f4 AF.

I hope this helps,
Mark Peterson
Ames, Iowa, USA