> Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 00:23:45 -0500
> From: "don ferrario" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: 300/2.8 w/converter [v04.n185/8]
>
> According to B&H's web site, the 300/2.8 AF-I can be
> used with the TC14E and TC20E.
>
> According to the same table, the 300/2.8 AF-S can *not*
> be used with the TC14E and TC20E.
>
> Can anyone confirm whether or not the 300/2.8 AF-S lens
> will or will not correctly function with the autofocus converters?
>
> The AF-S lens is actually listed at a lower price than the AF-I.
> My understanding is that the AF-S lenses are slightly faster
> in autofocus.  If that is the case, why would someone pay
> $500 more for the AF-I?

The Nikkor 300mm/f2.8 AF-S definitely works with the TC-14E and
TC-20E teleconvertors (one at a time, not both TC together). I have
that combination myself.

The AF-S lenses are replacement of the AF-I lenses, which have been
discontinued. I doubt that B&H still has any 300mm/f2.8 AF-I in stock.
The AF-I prices they list are from a year or two ago. Since Nikon prices
have dropped significantly in 1998, the current AF-S prices are indeed
lower than the corresponding AF-I prices from two years ago. A friend
of mine bought a 300mm/f2.8 AF-I from B&H in mid 1997 and I bought
my AF-S also from B&H in mid 1998, and I paid less than he did.
Just think about the F5. In early 1997 it was $2799; by now it is $1900.

-- Shun Cheung            [EMAIL PROTECTED]
      Kenya Photo Safari -- http://photo.net/photo/nature/kenya.html