At 03:08 PM 1/9/99 +1300, "Simon M. Schwaighofer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>for the first time in my life I will have the opportunity to take pics of a
>football game at the Superbowl this year.
>
>Could you please give me tips for what lenses to bring to this match?

The minimum focal length for successful football shots at the college level and
higher is 300mm.  400mm would be the preferred focal length at the pro game
with a 1.4x and 2x TC handy when the play is away from where you are.  Every
100mm buys you about 10 meters of coverage.  A 200mm lens is only going to fill
your frame with players within 20 yards, which isn't much.  Check into renting
a 300mm F2.8 AF-S and appropriate TCs.

>Looking for comments on the AF-S 80-200 (and TCs) if possible with F5. Is
>it worth the diffence to the AF 80-200n???? More sharp pics or just
>heavier? Of course the diffence starts when using a TC...

I'm foaming at the mouth to get my hands on the AF-S 80-200.  Alas, I don't
have the money right now and I don't think its available here in the US.  I
expect that NPS will have them for rent at the game though.

Rob