Dear list members,

I'm planning to upgrade my lens collection. Up to 80mm eveything's fine
(mostly Nikkor glass). For bigger focal lengths I used to shoot with a
Sigma 75-300 non-APO non-anything. I had bought this lens in my early
days. Now I feel I need better glass. I'd like to ask you guys for advice.
Here's what my new lens(es?) should provide:
- sharpness is most important
- I'd like to be able to shoot up to 300mm
- some degree of close-up ablilty (better than, say, the 300/f4)
- the stuff should not be too heavy (travel)
- a zoom would be great
- I'd not like to spend much more than 1200 US$
The bodies I mainly use are the F4s, the 6006 and the FE (therefore MF
should not be too painful). I intend to use the new equipment for
landscape and nature photography mainly. Maybe architectural details
too.
I can live with both a single-lens or a two-lens solution (maybe including
a prime lens).

All suggestions are very welcome. Thanks in advance!

Cheers
Boris