Hello Christian,

which kind of distortion are you speaking of :
- lens distorsion - pincushion )(  barrel () or what?

When you use a long lens to photograph architecture you usually get two
cases 1) you are far enough and you want to photograph a whole building,
in this case usually the vertical distortion from the lens (keystoning)
is minimal PROVIDED that the camera back is parallel to the subject
(building) and you usually work from a tripod; in this case ususally
your background gets flattened especially with long lenses 500mm and more.
2) you use a long lens to get to some architectural, so usually your
camera back is not parallel to the subject and you get aby kind of
distorsion you can.
If you donīt want keystoning (vertical parallels converging /\) you have
to use a PC lens that allows shifting of the lens (see the archives, we
had several threads on this and since I recognize your name from way
back in the digest you probably read them).
Of course the two PC Nikkors (28 &35) are a little limited in shift, but
I ususally find them satisfying for a 35 mm use.
If you REALLY want architectural photos detailed and graphically
accurate, nothing beats a 4x5 or 2x3 view camera, but this comes with
weight, loading and unloading films, cost, printing costs and so on.
2x3 like Horseman or Linhof can use a 120/220 back that gives you 6x7 or
6x9 on 120/220 roll films, good alternative to the larger format, easier
to use.
Anyway you loose the through the lens view and you have to compose on
the glass before inserting the back to shoot or rely on the finder, not
such a good idea when you try to compose the image.

Anyway, I routibely use an old 500 mirror, sometimes with a 2x
converter, a 80/200, with or without converter and they have always
suited my needs, (or probably I learned to live with what I got ;-)

It all comes down to your needs.

Pierlucio Pellissier