Hi friends,

A well regarded italian magazine published a special issue detailing MTF
tests of many Nikon lenses. These tests cover many technical aspects of
a lens performance.

Sharpness is plotted on a graph having the sharpness factor on the Y
axis (centre of frame, edge and average) in a 1-10 scale where 10 is
maximum, against f-stops on the X axis.

These are the average values at 200 mm f8:
80-200 f2.8 AFD New:    8.2
70-210 f4-5.6 AFD:      7.7
75-300 f4.5-5.6 AF:     7.2
80-200 f4.5-5.6 AFD:    6.8

I am not relating f8 centre/edge of frame values since they
are very close to the average for all of these lenses.

Take these data for what they are, but I think that the difference
between the two 80-200 at the long end is significant even at f8.

Hope this is interesting.

Riccardo

Rome Italy