On Tue, 12 Jan 1999 19:41:08 +0100 RIBNITZ Robert wrote:

> For the D-technology, I dontr think it matters at that
> range [180/2.8 AF-D]. It is most useful when using a flash,
> and to my knowledge no flash covers more than about 85mm

The D technology is used to calculate the distance between the
film and the subject.  Therefore, it's useful regardless of the
focal length of the lens being used.  It's true to say the flash
won't cover more than 85mm but, in this case, we're talking about
angle of view, i.e. the flash will cover the angle of view of an
85mm lens.  Because the 180mm has a narrower angle of view than an
85mm lens, the 85mm coverage of the flash will cover the entire
scene (with, granted, some 'wasted' light).

I don't mean to be picky, but Robert's sentence above might lead
to confusion.

Bye,
Mike
[EMAIL PROTECTED]